You need to protect your Mac system with antivirus! The statement might make Apple users to shake their heads as they must have heard this trendy line, “MAC does not suffer with virus attacks!” Well, with the adverse of time, In this article we will list Best Antivirus Software for Mac OS. this is no longer a topic of debate. In 2012, around 600,000 Macs got attacked by Flashback Trojan. Within a year, Apple along with several other OS’ was hit by a targeted attack. XCodeGhost, later in 2015 attacked many Apple applications. Even in 2016, Ransomware virus attacked few Mac systems. This calls for safeguarding your MAC system with the nest antivirus!!
MACs are no doubt, better than windows in terms of security issues. Macs are more secure as they inhibit Unix Operating Systems that are sandboxed. Even if any virus attacks the system, it won’t be able to penetrate to the heart of the machine! This proves that Apples are more secure, but they ain’t un-hackable! The list of the best antivirus you might require for your Mac OS systems is given. Here we go.
Best Antivirus Software for Mac OS
Symantec Norton Antivirus for Mac System ($30 for first year, then $60 / year)
The performance of Norton software backs up to their high reputation. They also offer a money-back guarantee and exclaim that they will keep the system virus-free. Norton is one of the leading names in the Antivirus world and tries hard to remain at its top position!
An independent antivirus software testing group, AV-TEST tested Norton in April 2015 and showed that it detected 100% of tested malware samples that ranks it amongst the most effective and verified antivirus software for Macintosh. Norton’s Global Intelligence Network helps them in keeping their virus definitions up to date by reporting on threats around the globe.
Apart, the most appealing factor of Symantec’s Norton antivirus software is that the performance remains while the AV-TEST occurs! Norton also provides features like cloud backup capability and control software. All this makes Norton, our prime choice and so it is mentioned on the top in our list.
Some of the key features of Norton Antivirus for MAC are –
- Defends the system against virus, malware, phishing, spyware, and other online threats.
- Ranked 1 by consumer security software for performance and protection criteria.
- Helps you manage protection for the devices with easy to handle and easy to use web portals.
- Automatically backs up data including photos, financial info and other personal stuff.
- Helps to know that the emails and links came from the trusted source.
Our Conclusion for Norton Antivirus –
- Updates everyday
- Comprehensive virus protection
- Scans IM clients
- Difficult to remove
- May slow down your Mac
- May detect false threats
2. Bit-Defender Antivirus for Macintosh ($40 / year)
Like Norton, Bit-Defender too scored 100% of detection rate in the above mentioned, AV-TEST comparison. BitDefender is constantly updating its overall malware definitions, directly from the cloud, so almost nothing will slip by your defenses while working.
Moving processing to the cloud prevents the antivirus from taking over your system resources. Apart, BitDefender was the second lightest antivirus in AV-TEST’s results, as it slowed down the system a bit.
also check : Download Favicon
BitDefender includes definitions related to Mac specified malwares and also Windows based systems. This clearly means that this antivirus provides protection from a wider array of threats! Combining all such capabilities along with adware blocking, non-stop protection with Auto-Pilot and online phishing detection makes BitDefender as one of the best options for any Apple user.
Some of the key features of BitDefender Antivirus for MAC are –
- Zero negative impact on speed
- Secure your online shopping experience
- Delivers 24/7 Cloud-based guard duty
- Protects against Mac and PC Malware
- Provides non-stop protection with Bitdefender Autopilot
- Blocks and remove annoying adware.
Our Conclusion for BitDefender Antivirus –
- Create blacklists
- Protects in real time
- Customize settings
- Clean and clear interface
- Advanced options limited
- Manual scans can be slow
3. Comodo Antivirus for Mac (Free)
Although Comodo Antivirus was not tested for AV-TEST or the AV-Comparatives, still the specified antivirus has been given positive reviews by AV-TEST beforehand, which emphasized on its negligible effect on system’s performance.
Also check : Google Secrets
It features Automatic updates, easy scheduling, and drag and drop file scanning that makes this a complete antivirus package that anyone can use with great ease! Also, the software includes a Security Level slider that helps you adjust the received protection and you can also change the same according to the needs.
Comodo is a large company, providing a number of safeguards for businesses, available online. It has a solid repo in the market and does all good to maintain the same!
Some of the key features of Comodo Antivirus for MAC are –
- Instant one click scanning
- Easy user-friendly interface
- 100% protection with On-Access scanning
- Simple slider to change your security level.
- Automatic updates for the most up to date virus protection.
- Very good score in hands-on malware blocking test.
- Host Intrusion Prevention System.
- Sandbox limits damage from unknown programs.
- Behavioral blocking.
- Extremely powerful experts-only administrator tools.
- Mixed scores from independent labs.
- Poor score in malicious URL blocking test.
- Identified two valid programs as malware.
- Default auto-sandbox interfered with installation of unknown programs
4. Avast Free Mac Security (Free)
Avast Free Mac Security is one of the most popular packages for Macintosh systems. Avast results 100% detection rates in AV-TEST and AV-Comparatives tests. With the ‘free’ tag and amazing working results, it gives strong competition to expensive software like Norton. “Automatic stream of micro-updates” feature keeps the system up to date about viruses.
Avast is one of the most light weight antivirus. Also, it ranks sixth in the AV-TEST. With slow downing the system’s performance, Avast just proves that you can never have maximum system performance for free! 😛 However, most users won’t even notice the difference in the performance, so it doesn’t matter really very much!!
Apart, Avast uses a huge data analytics plus a multi-platform sensor network with machine learning that makes sure that the virus definitions in the system always includes the knowledge of the latest threats. With Decently lower usage of system resources and such great level of protection let it get a place in top five antiviruses for Mac.
Some of the key features of Avast Antivirus for MAC are –
- Detect virus, malwares, and strengthen your network.
- Log in anywhere with just one password.
- Make sure the banking site you visit is verified.
- Stop anyone and everyone from getting to your PC.
- Update the software without even thinking about it.
- Excellent scores in our antiphishing and malware-blocking tests.
- Password manager Hardened browser.
- Very good scores from antivirus testing labs.
- Sandbox for running suspect programs.
- Network security scan.
- Slow malware scan. Some features require separate purchase.
- Some hardened browser features didn’t work in testing.
- Password manager features limited.
- Advanced features may prove daunting for average users.
5. Kaspersky Internet Security for Mac ($60 / year)
Kaspersky Internet Security for Mac protects Apple systems from three types of viruses: PC, MAC and Android-based. Now, why to worry for Android-based malwares on your Mac system? A question might arise! Well, because you could pass your system on to someone you might know. 😀 Even if you don’t make use of an Android phone, some other could get infected if you had any of the malwares.
File scanning, automatic updates, and drag and drop are some of the salient features of AVG that helps you to detect all your files are safe and your system is free from any sort of malwares. The straightforward interface and easy to use features are appreciable. It also secure 100% detection rate for the MAC and PC based malwares!
Some of the key features of Avast Antivirus for MAC are –
- Defends your privacy – so your private life remains private.
- Helps you protect your kids against today’s online dangers
- Automatically sends our latest updates to your Mac computer
- Adds extra security for online shopping, banking & payments
- Prevents your Mac from spreading PC and Android malware
- Protects your digital life without slowing Mac performance
- Simplifies security management and access to support
- Strong detection scores from third-party labs.
- Firewall tools.
- Enhanced protection for financial transactions.
- Parental controls.
- URL advisor.
- Uneven protection against Windows threats.
- Poor performance in our hands-on Web protection test.
You might be all worthy oh worthy Mac Users but the protection juts comes handy at most of the times, and when the question is of protecting your privacy, it can’t get any better than the 5 best Softwares provided up in the article for Mac OS. So pick one for you and go to get the best of your System.