Broken Links are those links in your website which point to nowhere. The broken links are also called as dead links or dangling links.
REASONS FOR BROKEN LINKS:
1. You probably removed or deleted the page
2. Removed the images
3. A dead URL of the External page
4. Server down on the external link page
5. Accidentally used a wrong URL.
6. Domain name has changed or no longer available.
7. Firewall filtering by the external website.
When your readers click on a broken link, they get a frustrating 404 error page.
What is Affected?
- The prime affected factor is the user experience. The users getting those redundant 404 errors will surely gonna frustrate them. The affected users may not recommend your site to others, and your web audience may reduce in the long run. It is an annoying factor for the users.
- The second most important thing affected are the PageRanks on Search Engines like Google and Bing. There can be a dip in the search rankings for your sites. Robots and web spiders crawling your sites also hate too many broken links and weigh your web-pages lower.
What needs to be done? Solution to avoid all the negative consequences of broken links:
It is highly recommended that you check all the links on your site at least twice a year.
But, what if your site is too large with thousand of pages, then you can never audit your site link by link. Then, I recommend you to use the following great tool:
Official site: http://home.snafu.de/tilman/xenulink.html
We are lucky enough to have this great tool.
Note: This tool only runs on Windows.
Download the tool, install it, enter the URL of your website, it will crawl through all the links on your website. “Link Verification” is performed for normal links, image links, plugins, images, frames, and so on.
Once the analysis is complete, this tool is gonna generate report with all the broken links, valid URLs, redirects and much more.
This is definitely a great tool and a must have for webmasters.
Hope you liked this article. Thanks for peeping in. Catch you again with more stuffs.