Map your custom domain and sub-domain to Google Sites. Map Google site to domain or Map Google sites to Sub domain that’s what we are going to learn today in this article.
If you have your own custom domain and its corresponding sub domains then it is necessary to map the domains to a web page on the internet for your readers to access to your contents posted or uploaded. In this tutorial we will be using google site to Map Google site to domain.
Google Sites is gaining popularity, but not as much as Google Blogger. People generally map their own domain bought from Google to map to Blogger Blogspot address.
Check : Upload files to Blogger
Normally, it is not possible to map a naked domain(http://example.com) to Google sites. Map a domain with redirection as “http://www.example.com”.
This tutorial is those who would like to map their Google sites to a new domain or custom domain which you have created under the main domain.
How to Map Google site to domain
2. Log in to your Google account. Once you are in. You would see something like this:
3. Click on “CREATE“
4. The next page looks something similar to the screen shot shown below:
Follow the number sequence shown above. Once everything is done. You can click on number 6, i.e “CREATE“.
5. The next page taken would be your Google Sites home page.
URL would look something like “https://sites.google.com/site/examplesite”
So, you are in!
IMPORTANT: “It is important that you need to own a custom domain or Should create a CNAME for sub domain in order to map your site with Google sites.”
CREATING CNAME for a subdomain: It is one of important step for Map Google site to domain.
“Changing your CNAME record
Depending on your domain registrar, you may need to make changes to your CNAME record in order for your site to be mapped:
- Sign in to the site where you control your own site with custom URL.
- Navigate to your Domain Name Server (DNS) management page. The location and name of this page varies by host, but can generally be found in the Domain Management or Advanced Settings section.
- Find the CNAME settings and in the section ‘CNAME value or alias,’ enter the sub-domain you’d like to map the URL to. The sub-domain for www.example.com would be www.
- Set the CNAME destination to the following address: ghs.google.com“
Example: www.example.com, fun.example.com, wiki.example.com
Lets map Google site with your custom domain or sub-domain:
6. On the top right you would see “More“:
Click on “Manage Site“
7. In the next page:
On the “Left sidebar” you would see:
Click on “Web Address“
8. Type in your domain url or sub-domain url as shown below:
You can either add your domain or subdomain in the above box. Click on “ADD“.
Now, you have successfully mapped your domain “www.example.com” to your Google sites with some name. So, when you readers type the domain url, they will be redirected to your Google sites home page where you have made things look beautiful and creative. 🙂 That is how you can Map Google site to domain.
Hope you liked this tutorial. Please share your views on the same. Thanks for reading. Happy learning new things.