Virtual Box Alternatives : Honestly haven’t a lot of us wondered how it would be like to use other OS but would not want to change the one we are currently using? Virtualization of OS allows this to happen. You just have to install softwares to use other OS on your device. Oracle’s product Virtual Box is one of the famous virtualization softwares in the market. It provides users of any operating systems the freedom to use other OS without compromising their current one.
One of the features of Virtual Box is that it allows users to use multiple OS ranging from Windows to several other OS. However there are several other virtualization softwares in the market which works equally as well as Virtual Box and provides similar features, some even more.
Top 8 virtual box Alternatives
New softwares come up and old ones are updated with better features. Hence we have compiled a list of 8 best alternatives you have for Virtual Box. We have mentioned some features for each but if you want more details you can head to their official websites. We have also official attached links for each software. Virtual Box alternatives
Image Source: Pixabay
1. VMware Workstation:
Among the existing products for virtualization of operating systems. VMware is one of the best in the market. Hence it is also a great alternative for Virtual Box.The VMware Workstation allows you to virtually convert any operating system you are currently using into other operating systems.
FEATURES OF VMWARE WORKSTATION:
- Convert your operating system into other operating systems
- Sync your work with cloud. Hence you can access it anywhere you go.
- ‘Linked Clones’ for quick duplication
- Advanced hardware support
- Users can control one or more OS in a single machine OS and use the same with the host machine.
- Users can share physical disk drives and USB devices with a guest OS.
- Easy to use
There are much more features that you can check out in their official website given below. Having a 15 years’ experience in the field has definitely put them at the top.
2. QEMU: Virtual Box alternatives
QEMU is another free virtualization software that is a great alternative for Virtual Box. It is an extremely advanced software that has multiple features other softwares in the same field do not have. However due to its modern and advanced nature it is complicated and not easy to use.
FEATURES OF QEMU:
- Open source emulator and virtualization software.
- As an emulator, QEMU allows users to run OS and programmes in other machines.
- QEMU can virtualize x86, server and embedded PowerPC, 64-bit POWER, S390, 32-bit and 64-bit ARM, and MIPS guests.
- When using KVM, it performs as fast as it would in a native environment.
- It supports hosts Windows, Mac OS X, Linux and some UNIX based platforms.
3. coLinux: Virtual Box alternatives
A free and open source software coLinux is the next software that has made to our list. First of all the best part about this software is that it is free. It is a great software that lets users use Linux and Windows parallel. coLinux uses Cooperative Virtual Machine which is unique to coLinux. Hence users can share data that exists in the host OS. This distinguishes coLinux from other similar softwares.
FEATURES OF COLINUX:
- A free and open source software.
- Users can use Linux and Windows OS parallel.
- Portability is easy
4. Portable Virtual Box: Virtual Box alternatives
Portable Virtual Box is another open source software and it is free. Like its name suggests, it is portable too. Not sure what it means? It means that it is a portable program so you can take it anywhere with you through your pen drive or other external hard disk drives without installing it again separately.
FEATURES OF PORTABLE VIRTUAL BOX:
- Free and open source software
- Extremely convenient sand efficient ince it is portable
- Configure home directory
- Different languages available for GUI
- Saves settings in editable files
5. Parallels Desktop: Virtual Box alternatives
This software is specifically designed for Mac users to be able to access Windows easily in their computer. It also offers users to run Linux and Chrome OS. A unique feature is that you can use two OS in a parallel mode or in other words side by side. Parallels Desktop also offers a version for personal use and another one for business purposes. It is a great software for users who have Mac OS but this is a paid software.
FEATURES OF PARALLELS DESKTOP:
- Allows Mac users to easily access other OS like Windows, Linux and Chrome.
- Coherence mode
- No need for reboot
- 500 GB online backup storage for a year
- Uses up to 64 GB vRAM and 16 vCPUs per virtual machine
6. VMware Fusion: Virtual Box alternatives
The VMware Fusion is another product of the VMWare and works as good as all their products. It allows users to run any OS like Windows, Ubuntu or Linux and more in Mac devices hence the name fusion. A great feature of this software is that it is user friendly and even amateurs or people who use it at home can easily use it. It is also cheaper than the other VMware products.
Features of VMware Fusion:
- Fusion of other OS into Mac
- Use features like Cortana or Windows live search in Mac
- User friendly
- Connects with VMware and vSphere
- Flexibility of usage of apps on both host and guest OS
7. KERNEL VIRTUAL MACHINE: Virtual Box alternatives
As an advanced and modern virtualization program, this software definitely deserves a place in the list. It has been designed for users who use Linux as their operating system. The Kernel module in this software makes up the main infrastructure for virtualization.
FEATURES OF KERNEL VIRTUAL MACHINE :
- Open source program for Linux System
- Runs on x 86 hardware systems
- Run multiple virtual OS simultaneously
- Each VM has a private virtualized hardware
- Easy communication between host and guest OS
- Provides USB controllers
8. MobaLiveCD: Virtual Box alternatives
Another alternative to Virtual Box is MobaLiveCD. This software allows users to run Linux on Windows OS. It is easy to use as users don’t have to install it first. It uses QEMU to run LiveCD on Windows. It has limited features compared to the other softwares on the list however it doesn’t stop MobaLiveCD to perform what it is supposed to do.
FEATURES OF MOBALIVECD :
- Linux OS can be run in Windows OS
- No installation required
- User friendly
- Easy to use interface
Final Words : Virtual Box alternatives
Ultimately, these are some of the best and equally competitive alternatives of virtual box. Here, we have listed the 8 best alternatives of virtual box so that you can sort them out according to the features, and your requirements, and then choose the best one. Once you choose the dezired alternative to virtual box, you can easily download it from the download link provided.